Monday, February 10, 2014

Feb 10,

Well, after being totally blindsided, I come to you a broken and miserable man.
 
So, not sure if you got the word, but I am getting transferred, after being told we weren't. Ouch town, population, us. But the week was good, let me jump into it!
 
Monday we hit Goodwill and I got a 1976 BoM. Light blue cover with Angel Moroni on it. It was worth the $2. Eternal Joy and Happiness, what a bargain! We also ate with the most Southern Family in the ward, the Moore's. Southern people are pretty proud of their traditions. And it is impossible to break into their social strata. But I commend them on their strict adherence to their roots! I wish I had some South in me. Maybe Grandpa Barnes has family history from Georgia or the South. We had chili, and we think it might have had squirrel or rabbit in it. It tasted alright though!
 
Tuesday wasn't much of a missionary day. We had Zone Training in Douglasville at 2:30, and it went until 6:30. We hit up Stevi B's beforehand with the other Elders. 23 pieces, not too shabby. We had a dinner appointment that day, so I took it easy. I have to break the 30 barrier! There was a lot of good things mentioned at ZTM and it was really about the Doctrine of Christ and how it empowers everything we do, forever. And how we need to strive to hit the Key Indicators set before us. We also got to sit down and visit with Maria shortly, she is doing well, and certainly not avoiding us. It is really hard teaching in her home with her 4 kids. They could really use a father figure. But we just read from the BoM. She is working like 14 hours a day now. From 9:00 PM, to 1:00PM. Unbelievable.
 
Wednesday, we had a sign seeking moment. I opened up to a scripture randomly in Isaiah, and it was talking about darkness and shadows. The 'o' in shadow was filled in. So, like from Muppet Treasure Island, I yelled, "THE BLACK SPOT!!!" Then we looked at what time it was, and it was 11:34, which on digital clocks, looked at updside down, spells hEll. Our appointment with the Bristol's didn't work out, because the Merryman's went to go see the Saratov Approach. Have y'all seen it? It is supposedly pretty good! Maybe it is a movie for when I get back, because it is about missionaries getting taken hostage.
 
Thursday we had our cleaning check, and the Senior couple said we clean better than the Sisters! Right on! A+! Really what I am trying to say is that I was trying to see how bad I could make my room, to see if I could clean it. Or maybe I am just a little lazy. Probably the latter. We had an awesome dinner at the Krogh's home, then an lesson at Rob Johnson's with Allen. We went back to the basics. Read the intro and the testimony of the witnesses, then showed Elder Holland's Testimony of the Book of Mormon. We had Rob and Allen a little teary. It was one of the best lessons I have been able to participate in.
 
Friday we have the FHC, and I reworked my iPod just in case I was getting transferred. Also got some videos from Elder Wilson that we have been recording lately. We also listened to more of Elder Holland, and what a gift he has for speaking. Someday I wish I could speak like that. We also listened to a song "The Prayers of the Children" Such a beautfiul song! We also did a little finding, and I was a little nervous at first and just like that, the person opened the door and my mouth was filled. I guess I am just a natural when I rely on the Lord. Two awesome new Investigators! One of them, we had stopped the car, and felt inspired to visit the one with a green truck. We were about to get out, but we noticed some old man, watching us having a smoke with his pitbull out. We hesitated a little, but I just said we got to do this! So we did, and we met a lady named Jeena. She has never been baptized and hates how there are so many churches and that the bible has been tampered with. We were grinning afterwards! I also got a letter from Armand which was super fun! We also had the opportunity to visit with the Okezie's again for dinner and a lesson! We commited them to coming to church! Glory has been wanting to, but Obe has been dragging his feet. But it was so good! We were so pumped!
 
Saturday, we had the busiest day planned out. 6 appointments! Only 1 went through. We also had a priest out with us for some of it who has Asburgers. We hope he had a good experience. We met with Brandi at Kai's home with Rob Johnson, and had an amazing lesson on the Plan of Salvation. Converts get exctied to be on the other side of the lesson. Brandi is going to get dunked! We also finally got to have Steak Conference with the Sears! It was so worth that wait. I love being over in their home! Our question for them, since they love that for our message to share, was embarassing moments. It was super funny, but then we wrapped it up with Romans 1:16, about not being ashamed of the Gospel. It was a very good thing that we did Steak Conference, little did we know that there would not be another opportunity!
 
Sunday, started of rocking! We got Obe, Glory, Brandi and her daughter to church! We were so thrilled. I don't know why it is so hard to get people to church, but when you do, it is like you are on top of the world. It is probably easier to marry people than get them to church. Granted our gators left after Sacrament, but their was enough spirit to touch anyone! We loved it! To make matters better, we were going to be staying another transfer. I also found out that members that cannot remember our names, refer to me as the big, athletic, smiley one. Smiling goes a long ways!! We had another dinner at the Krogh's which was awesome as usual! We love being there! They played the "guess your first name" game. Then it turned into Middle name, and Brother Krogh guessed both of our middle names, with no hint, on the first try. It was freaky! It was as if we just became family at that point. After an amazing day, we got home to a miserable text that we would need a ride to transfer meeting. Totally blow a hole in our hot air balloon. Sucks to suck. I guess there was some last minute change that needed to take place. We got word today, and I will be leaving, not sure where or with who, but I feel like I am getting ripped away from home.
 
So today will be a packing day and there will be some serious Ice storms coming tomorrow, so I hope I can see everyone to thank them and say see you soon! I know I will tear up at a few homes.

Well that is my scatter brained week in a nutshell! I will let you all know all the dirt come next week about where I am, who I am with, what we are doing, and what our favorite chick flick. Thanks for writing me and I am glad to hear all is still well! Hopefully you have another amazing week ahead and always continue to smile! Oh, and Happy Valentine's! I hope it is a lovely day! Thanks for all that you do for me, it means the world to me! I love you all so much, and we will chat real soon! Let me know if there is anything I can do for anyone! Have a blessed up week!
 
Love,
Elder Barnes
 
The purpose of the Gospel is to make bad men good, good men better, and to change human nature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment