Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Feb 24

Looks like meat is back on the menu boys!
Another week another blessing! I love email time, gives me a chance to realize how amazing my family and friends really are! I am downright spoiled, more than I deserve. I just wish to thank you all so much for everything and convey my love. Love is the bond of perfection. It was an peculiar week for a peculiar set of missionaries here in Decatur (I still wonder what that is named from). Odd is the new normal I suppose. But God is good!
Monday we ran the town as I mentioned before! Not sure if we will be doing the same today because the other Elders car was rear ended. So it is in the shop and we are left to our lonesome. I could go for a nap to be honest! I haven't slept much at all this week, but there really is no rest for the righteous. I still have a feeling that naps will be required in heaven. Think of how much better the world would be if they had a nap then woke up to Cookies and milk!
Tuesday we were able to help a Single Sister here in the area, Sister Franks. She needed help hanging blinds and curtains. I guess we are both the LDS moving service and the handymen. Blessings! We also got together and divided up the ward roster in an effort to get the ward rolling here. I think the ward has 150 active members and 600 Inactive. Quite a mountain to climb! We also met an investigator named Michelle and her two kids, Timothy and Penelope. We had a good dinner, but she is struggling really bad. She has quite the story about her divorce, messy as could be. We are just building her faith in God right now, because she couldn't see how a loving God would allow what she went through. Elder Moore said this was the first time the meeting didn't end in tears and screaming. We played a few board games and slid the Gospel in where we could. But, she is an amazing woman, and her kids are awesome too. She might be moving which sucks!
Wednesday we had Interviews with President Harding, which was good. I guess I see him about every 3 months. He is a very inspired man! I haven't spoken with him much, but he was telling all sorts of things about me that he knew. The ward puts on a bible study each Wednesday which was neat! I wish the church back in Utah would do something like that. One thing I really really love about members out here, is that they truly want to be there. I feel like it can be just a requirement in Utah, as in it is expected.
Thursday we were all over service. We helped a member's Mom, she is 92 still driving, still working, and still chipper! We raked and cleaned her front yard. I think the leaves would be one of the biggest reasons why I couldn't live in Georgia. Raking by hand is quite the task. But we got it done and filled 36 huge brown bags full of leaves. That was just her front yard too. It took 2 hours and all the missionaries to do it. We then went to the Relief Society President's home and helped put away her Christmas decorations. She has over 400 Black Santa's. I didn't get to see them all, and I didn't have a camera to capture it, but it was astounding. I wonder if his Elf's are black too?
Friday was a frustrating day on Marta. Everything was late or didn't show up. But it all paid off! We had a lesson with a lady named Meloney near Stone Mountain. It was an incredible lesson and she wants her and her boyfriend to be baptized. We only had 35 minutes before the next bus, so we kept the Restoration short and powerful. However, we still missed the bus. BUT, unbeknownst to us, the bus was just 10 minutes late, so we made it in the nick of time, a miracle in itself. AND, the first lady we see on the bus, asks if we are Mormons and that she met with them in Sacramento where she just moved from. The Lord's placement and timing is impecable! We also talked to a crazy that knows the Book of Mormon is true, but is thinking that he needs to find the secret combination to fulfill the prophecy. It some how includes Gabriel, Michael, Raphael, and Jehovah.  An Intriguing day for sure!
Saturday the Sisters had a baptism that was not planned to well. The interview was a few hours before! Thankfully she was super solid, and even reached out to the missionaries 3 times before they made it over there. We also convinced the Sisters that a man came into the church and stole their bags and coats. We merely just hid them, and told them all of this in a text, that we saw the guy walking away and that something didn't look right. We were actually hiding in another room, so we heard them read it, then storm into the room with their bags, scream, then run out to go find the supposed burglar. The senior couple was walking in the door just at that moment, so they thought it was them. It was a pretty well played prank, and I was certainly surprised they bit on it, namely that the doors were all locked at the church. Another catastrophic thing happened, Supercross! So on Marta there was more White people than black people. It was certainly segregated though. When will we fully move on from that?
Sunday was good, I feel odd because the ward doesn't reach out very much, but that doesn't stop me. The talks were awesome, all 3 about black history month and the church. We also got a lesson on Passions. I don't know if I am very passionate about many things. What constitutes a passion or a hobby? It was a good day overall though, I really do love Sundays. I also wonder if we are breaking the Sabbath by riding MARTA. I got the courage and decided to try cutting my own hair with just clippers. It didn't turn out half bad for a first time! It is a little short so there won't be any way to part it for a bit. I don't have any pictures right now, but I will get some!

I guess that is all for today folks! Please let me know if there is anything I can do! Thanks again for the email and taking time for me! Keep fighting the fight of faith and being the good soldier of Christ! Have another blessed up week and I look forward to hearing from you all soon! Love you all so much!

Love,
Elder Dallan Barnes
Be strong and of a good courage.

No comments:

Post a Comment