Tuesday, June 17, 2014

June 16
Luke, I am your Father!
What's good, what's good? I can tell you that everything is good in the hood! We had another amazing week, they all seem to blend together, and when it is all said and done, I know I will be able to say I had an amazing mission experience. This is most certainly where God wants me to be! So let me share a little more!
Monday we checked out the Science Center, and that was kind of amusing. We were like children again (kind of like the Zoo or Aquarium). It was free and the Natural History Museum cost money, but we didn't feel compelled to slap that over. It was a pretty good day, and I think we have done about everything there is to be done in Atlanta. It's a sign that I have been here long enough. Just joking, I will be here another transfer, I'll talk about that later! I did hit 300 days as well. Crazy Crazy.
Tuesday we got to spend some time in the House of the Lord. The temple is an amazing place, where I can have my questions answered. And they were, by the Big Man himself! We had plenty of instruction on the new training program they are launching, so we can become "Preach My Gospel Doctors" and be certified. We are now waking up at 5:50 each morning to get an extra thirty minutes of study time each day. It is kind of overwhelming, but it'll be for our best good!
Wednesday was a peachy day (yeah, we have many of those too, since we are in the Peach State. I haven't had a peach yet though....) We were out and about, and we got totally poured on! Luckily I had an umbrella (didn't do much for the sideways rain). We had to talk 1.7 Miles to get to the church to do some baptismal interviews. Miracle Hour as we like to refer to it. We got drenched, but it makes for a good story! We met a lady along the way that is 22 and has 5 kids, disowned by her family, single Mom. She let us right in to pray with her, and it was quite powerful! We will be spending the Spanish Missionaries over asap! The interviews went great (still one of my favorite parts of being the District Leader), I had three of them. People are so prepared, and the missionaries out here are so incredible, they get this stuff done and get the people dunked. I got to speak with Bro. Collins again, love him! His Less Active daughter was in an accident and needed a blessing.
Thursday I realized I had lost 20 lbs here in Twin Oaks, which is awesome to hear. We had a great weekly planning session, and had some dinner with the Neff Family. Then we stopped in and gave Sis. Collins that blessing, I know I am here for them. That whole family has blessed me so much!
Friday we were here, there, and everywhere. It has been raining often, or fixing to everyday. It has been keeping it cooler thankfully! We went and saw the Coppock Family, and then went to have dinner with Bro. Priest, the Less Active we found and are working with! He is a master chef and wants us over every week. He got a job, and his life is truly changing. It is moments and people like this that I know that all of this has to be true. We had fried apples! I am just trying to fulfill the commandment: "Thou Shalt put some South in thine Mouth". I think it is in the 6th book of Moses somewhere ;)  We also had the opportunity to teach Patience in the Atkins home again, and had a great lesson going over the Restoration. She is doing well, and it is kind of disheartening to hear she is possibly wanting to switch to the Single's Ward. Overall, we hope that she is happy!
Saturday, the Traveling Assistants came to Twin Oaks to exchange for a day and a half. Elder Gautavai and Elder Bernard came and we hit it hard! Both are Polynesian so it was a good time. We saw many miracles, and Elder Gautavai has been the Assistant since I have been here. He is a splendid missionary, and I hung in there with him! It was a confirmation to me that I am doing many great things out here. I just happen to hold myself to an extremely high bar. Perfection is what I am shooting for (probably not going to happen.. not for now at least). We also got to see the four baptisms! What an amazing day! We found three families and talked with a ton of people. They had some nice remarks for us too. We had a car though (as much as I wanted them both to have the MARTA experience).
Sunday was superb as usual, got to stand in on some confirmations, feel the spirit as well. I hope you all got the the picture from the Allen's for Father's Day. They are the sweetest people. There is just such a friendlier vibe than when I got here. I got to speak with the Wallace's as well from Lost Mountain, and I truly miss them as well! I hope I can go back someday soon! That is the Zion of the South! We taught a few people along the way, nervous because there was no transfer news. We met with our investigator Darius, and he is certainly progressing! He is now 25% certain about being baptized, and the reason he has us over, is the way we show him love and treat him. That we don't just wear our faith, but we live it! Got home a little before 9:00, and took reports.
Today, I found out that I will be staying here in the Twin Oaks Ward, and Elder Skouson will be leaving. Super sad day! My firstborn in the wilderness! He will be going to a Spanish Area until he receives his Visa! I will be getting a new companion, and we will be Zone Leaders for the Atlanta East Zone (as if I don't get enough sleep as is..). It should be an exciting change, but I have loved every minute of being the District Leader. Change is good though, especially when I don't feel adequate. I am sure the Lord will provide, as he has thus far! He is too good!
That's a wrap! Hope everyone had an excellent week! Seems like it, and I wish everyone a superb one ahead! I know we will! Thanks for all of the love and letters! Prayers too! I can always use them! Let me know what I can do for y'all! Love you all so very much! Have a blessed up week!

Love,
Elder Dallan Barnes

Working for the Lord doesn't pay much at all. But His retirement plan, it's out of this World!

No comments:

Post a Comment