Saturday, November 2, 2013


Gourmet chili mac!
                                  
                                                        What a handsome team!!!
 
 
 
HEY! FAT FACE!! YEAH YOU!!! Stay classy. 
 
Yes, I had to go there. I really haven't had many opportunities to share that profound message from the legend, Ron Burgundy. I know that his voice can make a grown lion purr, so I figured maybe I should try that one at the door or maybe while on bikes. What say you? They mentioned that we need to be creative with finding, and just maybe the one person I use that on, happens to be an Anchorman fan. I'll pray about it! When does the second one come out again? Needless to say, our apartment smells of rich mahoghany and we have many leather bound books. I wish ;) Well, I think we chewed the fat enough right there (somewhat of a southern saying, sounds terrible). But yes, my week has been awesome and I will certainly give you the pleasure of taking it all in. It goes down smooth every time! 
So the remainder of Monday was pretty decent. I tried taking a nap but it was so unfulfilling, disappointing for sure. I hope that I can nap when I get home, because there is nothing like a Sunday Afternoon Nap in the Fall! We also bought a little journal to give one of our investigators, her name is Krista and she is probably around my age, and we left our testimonies in the front of it for her birthday. It is just so crazy to see what a small gesture can do for someone. She is definitely been through some stormy seas, but she is so ready! She said she will be baptized in December because she will need to get her housing situation sorted out! 
 
Tuesday was pretty solid as well. It wasn't the most productive for finding, but you got to have less effective days to feel the full force of the super effective ones. In district meeting I had the blessing of teaching everyone how to relate every single concern back to the Prophet Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. It was such a simple principle that no matter what it is, it boils down to if the Book of Mormon is the Word of God. I had everyone role play and respond to objections I have seen here. Let me tell you, the Baptists take the cake on that, always objecting! But it is good, because at the end of this refiners fire, I will be so well versed in the Gospel. But it is truly such a beautiful place because everyone does have faith, and it is so easy to talk about Christ.
Wednesday, hump day. We had two awesome lessons with Krista and also with Allen and Janet. My companion is just so seasoned at this point. It almost seems clinical the way he teaches. I am picking up on it and I have my chance to jump in here and there. I wish we traded off a little more so I don't have to say the Pity Prayer as I call it, the closing prayer because I didn't say as much. We'll keep working on continuity and unity the more we teach. I just hate cutting people off when they pause or ask a question. I was thinking about it though, and I am not cutting people off if it is the Spirit that is leading me. Bam, personal revelation. Can I get an AMEN! We had for lunch Chili Mac.... Mac 'n Cheese mixed with a can of chili. It wasn't half bad, definitely a luxury food for college students. It was like a heart attack in a bowl haha. So.much.sodium. On our way out of the apartment a lady flagged us down on this major road as we were riding by. Such a miracle! She had just been kicked out of her house and was lost on these narrow roads. She wasn't too stable either. At least she had a phone, but we talked to her and walked her to the closest intersection. I talked to her friend that would pick her up and guided her to our location. They were so grateful when they showed up, they teared up and hugged me. It pushed back our day, but sometimes we are the angels, and God leads us to them. The Lord's timing is so crazy! We stopped by our awesome investigators Steve and Amy, and had a foam sword battle, then talked about the war chapters in the Book of Mormon. We went to Subway and this worker just started talking to me about where we work... Well, let me explain >:)  We got her number left her a blue book! We met with Justin, our Recent Convert, and he is struggling a little too. I just want everyone to be happy and strong. I love helping people continue to build faith. Oh and Krista promised us that she will make us a Key Lime Pie! Southern Hospitality, I tell you what. It is a beautiful thing.
 
Thursday...  I realized I got my days mixed up and kind of mashed Wednesday and Thursday together, soo... I don;t have the time to mend that. Let me tie some loose ends. We had a baptismal interview for a lady the sisters are working with (she lives across the street from us, tell me how that works. Frustrating to say the least). She is awesome though, super prepared. She was baptized just the other day actually! I also glued in my scripture marking key, which totally builds off of your study guide Austin. My Scriptures are going to be a relic when I am home! Come to think of it, I wish I had more time to write about all the awesome people we eat dinner with. That letter would take just as long... There are some truly amazing people out here. Y'all should come visit ;)  
 
Friday I spent so much time studying. I am so glad we have that time in the morning to study. It makes all of the difference. I found a couple talks in an older Ensign that I love. I hope I get a copy of this past Conference's talks. We spent the majority of the day trying to find. Most people weren't home or weren't interested. At night, the Carnell's brought us down Hot Chocolate! That was so awesome! I need to buy some now! Sarah Pestana, a Recent Convert also called us to order us a Pizza! Score! We also had an evening lesson with Bob again, and it was so awesome. The Barnes's (the other ones in the ward haha.) came with us. We had him focus that the answer he is looking for he might have been overlooking. Still small voice, right? 
 
We even got to bed Early Friday night! Crazy things I tell you. I still woke up a little tired to be honest. We were up at the usual time, but we had a special Fireside with Elder Oaks, in Tucker. It was about an hour away, but we rode with some elders, so it was a good time. I met with all the Bros from the district again. They are doing awesome! We had both Atlanta Missions crammed into the building. 550 Missionaries. Two missions. I think I ended up in the right mission, as if I had any say in the matter haha. But, we got to hear from Elder Oaks for 40 minutes or so. He had no real talk prepared, but jumped around ideas that he felt prompted to share. He is truly inspired. He mentioned how the goals you set should be for you to accomplish, not goals you set for others. If your goals include others, they are inadequate. It boils down to the idea of what can I do? Not what others can do for me. He also mentioned that "My Mission" when people mention that, they are wrong. It is the Lord's mission, not ours. And once we accept that, we become missionaries. You aren't a missionary by doing missionary things. It was awesome. I wish we could have all day with him! And, we got to shake his hand and snap a photo as a mission. I met another fellow Utah fan out here. It was so refreshing to say the least! We had the Baptism for Nicole, and I don't think anyone got pictures. We got to be Witnesses again though! Someday I will get in that font and dunk someone! 
 
Sunday, probably one of my favorite days beside Pday of course. I had my first vivid dream about investigators and people I needed to talk to and call. I couldn't remember for the life of me who though... Church was awesome though. I love the people here. It was the primary program which was super cute as always. Not too heavy on the doctrine of course, but it was refreshing. I loved when they sang A Child's Prayer. Love that song. Easily one of my favorites. So yes, we went to ward Choir again. There are some great singers here! One of which sang with Gladys Knight (however you spell it, she is way out of my era, maybe some old people like some people I know, could clarify). Me and Vandersloot were the only men there haha. I don't think I have that great of a voice, nor do I have any music background or practice. It is funny how people mention the change I have been through since I got here. Some say I was quiet and have totally opened up, others say that they are surprised to remember this is my first area. I want to be the very best, like no one ever was. To catch them is my real test, to train them in my cause! Yes, we had a lengthy discussion about Pokemon on our way to Elder Oaks. Random thought I had! But, we got to cook with the deLeon family and eat it. We also got to roam around with Brother deLeon and see some people. The Carnell's invited us up with their fireplace going to have some cookies and milk. It felt like winter or something, just hanging around the fire on the couch, sipping on milk. Can we do that when I get home?
Well that is my week! And I am glad to see y'alls was just as awesome! Remember to always look for miracles as well as be the miracle for someone else! The weather is really turning here and the leaves are finally changing! I may need a sweater here soon! Hopefully I can snap some good photos! I wish I could have been there for the Halloween party, but I will raincheck two years time. I will show you the real Ron Burgundy! Hope it doesn't snow this year on Halloween and make sure to torture Jace with a scary movie like you did to me (Arachnaphobia...) I would love to see everyone's costumes too! Let me know if there is anything I can do out here in the South! I love hearing from everyone and I greatly appreciate it! It makes things that much more special! Keep hanging in there and fighting the Good Fight! Thanksgiving is right around the corner! Have another blessed up week! 
 
Love,
Elder Dallan Barnes
 
Thought:  Pray as if it all depends on God. Act as if it all depends on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment